The Security Challenges In Nigeria, What Could Be Done About It?
Our system of government, we claim to be a democratic country but we are not practicing it, we were meant to understand that democracy is government of the people, by the people and for the people, This system of government allows his citizens to vote into power whom so ever they deemed feet for the office being contested for but in Nigeria here, what we see during election is always a tug of war, and during this election period, even the security becomes so porous because they are also being used by those already in power or influential for their personal interest.
It is during this election period many at times that those that are being voted into power mobilize youths and gives them arms to use in ballot box snatching cum other social vices. They use the youths for personal interest. Then after the elections, those youths used as thugs are left with no option but to start terrorizing the whole nation with what they are empowered with during election. Now the government can do little or nothing because they are part of the crises.
WHAT ARE THE REMEDIES TO THIS SECUITY PROBLEM IN NIGERIA?
I will be discussing on some remedies that will help our country in fixing security challenges. Our security agencies need total rehabilitation and overhauling.
- The government should ensure a proper screening of officers and men of the armed forces. Many of these officers are not left out when it comes to those terrorizing the nation by providing them with ammunitions and information. I believe the government can set up a panel consisting of some retired and some intellectuals involved also to carry out a proper screening that will assist in fishing out those bad eggs in the system .By so doing our various arms of forces will not be that porous again which will now make their strategic plans on how to capture those bandits sealed and secured.
- The government should create room for job opportunities; many of the youths involved in crime are graduates looking for a means of survival. If the government can provide job opportunities, many of the youths will drop arms and embrace the legit means which the government has provided.
- In our various neighborhood also, we all should be watchful and vigilant, the security of the nation is not just for the security agencies but for all of us. Report any suspicious thing or movement you notice in your neighborhood.
- It is also important that strict measures are taking to make sure that security agencies are deployed in our various universities to help the security outfits of the institution in securing lives and properties of Nigerian students. By so doing, the bad students who are already cult members will not find it easy to be malingering in the school searching for whom to initiate into their cult group thereby eradicating cultism in the higher institutions.
- Strict method should be taking in fighting drug abuse in the nation. Many of the youths involved in those social vices indulge in consumption of hard drugs which makes them act abnormal. If the Nigerian Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) can deploy their officers into various areas and locations of the country, they will be able to capture many of those promoting these vices.
- The last but not the list, the government should send their officers to training for further knowledge on security matters. Nigeria is still very far in security strategies thereby making our system porous. Other developed countries like the United States of America and Russia are good countries to look up to. There security system is a good instance on how a country security system should be.
- Lastly, the insecurity in the country really needs Gods intervention and our prayers. So much hunger in the land, because there is no job for those graduates from the university, there is sickness, depression and frustration which is 70% reason many youths are now turning into a treat to the country. Therefore drastic actions should be taken to reduce these abnormal acts that have engulfed the nation.
With these strategies, I strongly believe there will be a good secured nation we all can be proud of.